This quick tutorial shows you how to make your VLC media player remember the position of the last played files with a plugin called srpos.
srpos plugin works for VLC 2.1.x in Windows and Linux. It allows you toautomatically save and restore up to 100 last played files position.
How to install this plugin:
Download .deb package from: Launchpad Page
download vlc-srpos-plugin_0.3~trusty~ppa1_amd64.deb for 64-bit system.
download vlc-srpos-plugin_0.3~trusty~ppa1_i386.deb for 32-bt system.
Ubuntu 14.10 and Ubuntu 14.04 user can also download & install the .deb directly from the launchpad page.
wget -c http://ppa.launchpad.net/samrog131/ppa/ubuntu/pool/main/v/vlc-srpos-plugin/vlc-srpos-plugin_0.3~trusty~ppa1_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i vlc-srpos-plugin_0.3~trusty~ppa1_amd64.deb
How to Use the Plugin:
Once the plugin installed:
1. Re-open VLC, and go to menu Tools -> Preferences.
2. Under bottom left corner, select show All settings.
3. Navigate to Interface -> Control Interface on left sidebar.
4. Check the box where it says “Save/restore position of the last played files”
5. Save and close VLC. The plugin will work the next time you launch it.